Re: Make Test Failures

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:27:56 -0600

Don't know about actual wording, but the problem may be something along these
lines:

    Normally, on a Unix box (linux included), a user program can bind to port
1024 and above. Only programs running as root may bind to ports 1023 and
below. This is because all the normal, trusted services run on low numbered
ports. The idea is that a clueful user connecting to a port above 1023 knows
not to trust the service, unless he has good reason to.

    So, the problem with running the tests may be that the default ports for
the test server may lie in the disallowed band. Normally they wouldn't,
because the test HTTP port is 8999 and the test HTTPS port is 8433. It's
possibly, however, that your host's sysadmin could have either changed the
non-root range to somewhere upwards of 9000, or maybe even disallowed user
binding to ports at all.

    I'd tend to favor the latter, that users are not allowed to bind to ports
at all, because that stops you running some random service that might
compromise the system in some way. After all, you're not the only fish in
their particular tank, right?

So, maybe the questions to ask are: is there an allowed range of ports you can
bind to, and if so, what?

If you're just wanting to run the tests, not an actual service, is it such a
big hairy deal? I mean, you can test basic functionality by simply fetching
pages from external sites like Yahoo, Hotmail, Google, etc.

Ralph Mitchell