Re: curl-devel?

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff+curl_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:30:11 +1000

Small confusion going on here - I'll try to explain:

> > On 22 Oct 2002, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> > > I downloaded the tar ball curl-7.10.1.tar.gz from the website. Then, I
> > > built a neat RPM for my system (Linux Mandrake 7.2). I installed. All
> > > OK.

I'm assuming you made the RPM using the .spec file included in the curl
tarball.

> > > Then, I try to compile something that needs curl ... and it complains
> > > about missing curl-devel!

I'm assuming also that the 'something' you tried to compile that needs
curl-devel is another RPM, in .src.rpm format, or something else with a spec
file? The spec file would have a line 'BuildRequires: curl-devel' or similar.

> > > How do I get curl-devel in my system?

OK - the answer is, 'you already have it', but rpm doesn't know. You have all
the include headers and library files already installed as part of your
'curl' rpm.

> Am I missing something very obvious?

It's not very obvious, no. Basically, the rpm spec file in the curl tarball is
a bit out-dated, and very simplistic. It takes all of curl and makes one RPM,
called 'curl', containing headers, libraries and the curl binary.

When Troy packages curl for the curl website, he uses a smarter .spec file,
which (from a single source) makes curl, curl-ssl and curl-devel RPMs,
containing, respectively, curl binaries, curl binaries with ssl and curl
headers.

Other distributions which package curl follow still other 'name splitting'
schemes. Mandrake currently have curl in 'curl', the libraries in 'libcurl2'
and the headers in 'libcurl2-devel' (but they used to have curl and
curl-devel RPMs in older versions).

You have everything in one RPM package, but the new 'something' you are
building is expecting to build on a system with curl split into 2 packages.
You can probably just remove the 'BuildRequires: curl-devel' from the .spec
file of your new software, to stop RPM complaining. ./configure should work
it out from there.

The alternative is to re-build curl-7.10.1 with a better .spec file, either by
waiting for Troy's next release, or by taking the .spec file from his last
.src.rpm release and updating it yourself for 7.10.1, so you end up with curl
and curl-devel packages of your very own.

Unfortunately, there's no 'one true rpm naming scheme', so this small issue
may never go away, but if we replaced the aging .spec in CVS with the one
Troy uses, at lease one variant would slowly disappear...

Cris