Re: curl usage does not match the docs?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:47:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Brett Dikeman wrote:

> Curl usage does not seem to currently match the documentation...or
> I'm missing out on something.
>
> In version 7.9.4, using -F seems to clobber everything after it. Example:
>
> curl -F file=@filename -F this=will -F not=showup url
>
> ...only the file will be POST'd.

I just now tried the exact same command line here. Worked fine.

> If I remove the file portion:
>
> curl -F this=will -F not=showup url
>
> ...then both "this" and "not" will be POST'd correctly.

This somehow indicates that the @-letter makes thins go weird in your system.

BTW, 7.9.4 is not a good version.

> In 7.9.8, despite using the examples given in both the man page and the
> readme on the website(changing only the filename and form field name), all
> I get is "curl_formadd failed! curl: option -F was wrongly used!"

I have no clues. What OS/version/compiler did you use when you got that?

Again, your shell seems to eat @-letters or something.

> will post, literally, "@filename" for the field "block", which is -again-
> contrary to the man page and website.

This surely confuses me. I don't understand what's happening.

> Could someone please provide a working option string to submit a file via
> POST followed by several text field submissions?

You're doing it right...!

Anyone else recognizing this kind of weirdness?