Re: sending performance info to a file

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:05:49 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Elizabeth Jones wrote:

> Hi - I am new to curl, having only discovered it last night.

Welcome to this corner of the world.

> I searched the mailing list archives but can't seem to find an answer to
> this question - Is there a way to direct the performance results from a
> curl command to a file? I am using curl on a windows machine at the dos
> command, and I need to be able to save the results of a file transfer to a
> file, then send that file containing the transfer results to another file.
> I looked in the manual and saw the -S option but that appears to only be
> capturing output from stderr, and apparently the output from a curl command
> is going to stdout. If anyone knows of a way to do this in curl, or under
> dos, I would really appreciate it!

I'm not sure what kind of "performance results" you want in a file.

The downloaded data is stored in a file you specify with -o (or use -O).

stdout is saved nicely in a file using "curl [url] >file".

stderr is on unix redirected using "curl [url] 2>file " but it is not easily
redirected using the DOS/Windows command promp and thus you can also do the
same operation like "curl [url] --stderr file".

However, the stderr progress meter looks a bit odd sent to a file. Better is
the -w option that lets you customize what kind of data you want at the end
of a transfer.

If this didn't cover what you asked, please ask again! ;-)