Re: Getting even more verbose output?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:16:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Dan Wood wrote:

> I have a program written that uses the libcurl piece of curl, and some
> users are having problems connecting to a particular web site. To diagnose
> the problem, I'm having some folks try out the command line curl tool to
> see what's going on.
>
> However, the "verbose" mode of curl isn't verbose enough. Given the
> following line, my tester only gets the following result:
>
> ~$ curl -vS http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/index.asp?I=60830
> * Closing live connection (#0)
>
> That's it. No more error info, no nothing.
>
> Is there any way to get a "super verbose" mode to get a sense of why this
> might have aborted the load?

-S makes no difference without -s, so it make no more output in this case.

I felt the same way you do, and therefore I added a bunch of more outputs in
more recent versions of (lib)curl... Also, I made not returning any data at
all from a http server an error, so that you know if the server returned
headers-only or nothing at all (as this seems to be this latter case).

Anyway, using -i too is always helpful when dealing with HTTP servers (at
least).

Hm, but your example looks fishy. -v should output the HTTP request no matter
what!