Re: cURL and openssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:00:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Ralph Mitchell wrote:

> Just for grins, I went back and recreated /usr/include/openssl and put an
> empty engine.h file in it. The above configure command then found that
> file and set curl up to use it... Of course, the build failed miserably
> because the file was empty... :)
>
> So in conclusion, configure *is* looking where I tell it for the openssl
> header files, but it is *also* looking in /usr/include/openssl. Anybody
> know enough about configure to say if that behaviour can be modified??

The reason for this is quite simple.

The checking is done with the C compiler's -I option, and since the
/usr/include is in the include path it'll always check that directory no
matter what you tell configure.

To make it not to this, we should instead just check for the presence of the
file, instead of using the compiler. Or, perhaps better, we could check for
the presense of some actual OpenSSL stuff in the file before recognizing it
as a "true" file.

I actually don't think of this as a serious problem, although I would like to
see it fixed.

Thanks for your research!