Re: Installation problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:19:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Cary Scofield wrote:

(This reply is CC'ed to the curl-users mailing list, please use this list for
follow-ups or further questions.)

> I am trying to install cURL on my Solaris 8 workstation. The file I
> downloaded is called: curl-ssl-7.9.6-sparc-8-pkg.tar.gz . Here are the
> problems I found:
>
> 1) If you download from: west.dl.sourceforge.net , you will get an
> incomplete file.

Argh. That's really due to some weird sourceforge problems. I can't affect
the sourceforge mirroring myself. Sorry.

> 2) So I downloaded from: belnet.dl.sourceforge.net , but I found two
> problems with this download file:

I don't want to blame someone else, but I feel that I must point out here
that we offer a *huge* set of various packages from the download page of the
curl site (48 different packages as of this writing). All of them are
provided to us by friendly people who spend their spare time to package them
for others to enjoy.

Thus, any feedback on particular packages should primarily be mailed to the
submitter of the particular package.

> a) the instructions in the INSTALL file imply that there is source code
> in this distribution but there is none that I could find (see attached
> file)

That INSTALL file is probably taken from the original source code package,
and thus it refers to that package and not the Solaris binary package in
which you found this. I would guess that this is just a mistake.

> b) when I try to run the curl command, it is looking for the
> libgcc_s.so.1 shared library, but that doesn't exist on a vanilla Solaris
> machine.

I have no idea how to go about and fix this. Jean (or anyone else), any idea?

> I would like to be able to use cURL to replace all instances of lynx in our
> code, but not like this!!
>
> Please advise as to what I should do. I do not want to get into compiling
> this software if I don't have to.

There are just two possibly solition as I see it:

1. Someone (Jean?) brings an updated package that doesn't depend on that
   library or include it in the package (may depend on the license issue
   too).

2. Compile the stuff yourself. It really isn't hard.