Re: 7.9.5-pre4 tests on OS X 10.1.2

From: Blake Girardot <girardot_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:41:21 -0500

> That seems more like you installed the 7.9.5 pre4 in a different place
than
> you already had 7.7.1 installed.

this turned out to be who i was logged in as. as a normal user i had curl
and libcurl in my home directory structure which is now corrected so i dont
have that anymore :)

> > ldap.c:87: `RTLD_LAZY' undeclared (first use in this function)
> I'm very puzzled, no matter if you install or uninstall curl and its
> associated files, the presence or absence of the RTLD_LAZY symbol should
not
> be affected.
> You should have a file named dlfcn.h in your include dir that should
contain
> this symbol. Or perhaps that one includes another file that contains it.
> I'm sorry to say that I too recognize this problem from other postings
from
> Mac OS X users, but I've never seen any solutions to this problem being
> revealed.

what happend i _think_ was that when i installed libdl.dylib it changed the
way dynamic libraries were linked or compiled or something (again i am
pretty fuzzy on dynamic libs in both linux and os x but i know what they
are).

libdl.dylib was not on my system the first time i compiled curl. so after i
installed it and then tried to recompile curl ./configure probably saw
something different so the actual build process went a little differently,
except this time something in the ldap lib needed RTLD_LAZY or called it
differently and then i/it discovered it was undefined.

and it _was_ undefined because nowhere on my system was dlfcn.h. google
searches indicate its not on any of os x systems by default because apple
does shared libraries different than most others. this topic comes up a lot
with os x users it seems.

this would also explain why the vast majority of people compile curl just
fine on os x while the previous poster and myself could not, no one else
must have install that libdl.dylib thing the way i did.

google was eventually forced to give up this link:

http://spinwarp.ucsd.edu/dlcompat-20010831.tar.gz

which is a modified version of the dlcompat stuff from apple which does have
a dlfcn.h file and does actually put it where its supposed to go as well as
the actual dlcompat libraries needed.

then i re-gunzip'ed curl and run ./configure again as it now sees several
functions it must not have seen before.

after that curl happily compiled again and works fine so i would say this is
a fix for anyone who has that failure in compiling the ldap portion on os x
(or that error on any compile i guess).

all the same test fail however 4 15 120 121

you can seem i'm less than the most technically literate guy when it comes
to the magic of compiling things on os x, but i'd be glad to do any other
testing you want to suggest to see about getting rid of the make test
failures.

my average, whatever i can think of usage of curl works fine, but i am not a
heavy curl user, just a few ftp transfers in some shell scripts and that is
on yellowdog linux, i just happen to use an os x box here at the job so i'm
glad to compile and test on it.

thanks for all your great work,
cheers,
blake