Re: 7.9.5-pre4 tests on OS X 10.1.2

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:32:44 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Blake Girardot wrote:

> I wish I could be more helpful, but i fear i just made things worse. I
> actually didn't even try curl, just make && make test. so i did make
> install
>
> but when i did a just plain old 'curl --version' it gave me this error:
>
> dyld: curl can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libdl.dylib (No such file or
> directory, errno = 2)
>
> it has something to do with dynamic libs, i dont pretend to know :) so I
> found that and installed it.
>
> then i re ran the tests and all the same ones failed.
>
> then i did this:
>
> [localhost:~] root# curl --version
> curl 7.7.1 (powerpc-apple-freebsd) libcurl 7.7.1 (SSL 0.9.5)
>
> which seemed rather odd since it is so different than what make test
> reported.

That seems more like you installed the 7.9.5 pre4 in a different place than
you already had 7.7.1 installed.

> so i figured i should probably re compile curl after installing that
> whatever lib above.

When compiling curl, it uses the information about the lib that is present
in the source tree anyway, not the installed version (if any).

> now it dies trying to do something with ldap:
>
> cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../include -g -O2 -c getdate.c
> -Wp,-MD,.deps/getdate.TPlo -o getdate.o >/dev/null 2>&1
> mv -f .libs/getdate.lo getdate.lo
> source='ldap.c' object='ldap.lo' libtool=yes \
> depfile='.deps/ldap.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/ldap.TPlo' \
> depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../depcomp \
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../include -g
> -O2 -c -o ldap.lo `test -f ldap.c || echo './'`ldap.c
> rm -f .libs/ldap.lo
> cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../include -g -O2 -c ldap.c
> -Wp,-MD,.deps/ldap.TPlo -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/ldap.lo
> ldap.c: In function `DynaOpen':
> ldap.c:87: `RTLD_LAZY' undeclared (first use in this function)

Strictly speaking, this is not related to LDAP. This is related to dl and how
to dynamicly load a shared library.

> so i think i hosed myself somewhere in that process and makes my testing
> unreliable at this point since i dont really know much about the black art
> of shared libraries on os x.

I'm very puzzled, no matter if you install or uninstall curl and its
associated files, the presence or absence of the RTLD_LAZY symbol should not
be affected.

You should have a file named dlfcn.h in your include dir that should contain
this symbol. Or perhaps that one includes another file that contains it.

> by the way, this exact same error was seen here:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-01/0046.html
>
> its related to that libld.dylib i installed but i have no idea how to
> correct it at this point.

I'm sorry to say that I too recognize this problem from other postings from
Mac OS X users, but I've never seen any solutions to this problem being
revealed.

> sorry about that, if i make any progress i'll post back.

Hey, you just had a go and screwed your system up for our sake. I am the one
who should be sorry and say thanks for trying!