FTP Wrote only partial file problem

From: Blake Girardot <girardot_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:37:39 -0500

I built cURL on a YellowDogLinux box:

curl --version: curl 7.9.3 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl 7.9.3
(OpenSSL 0.9.6)
uname -a: Linux 2.4.10-12a #1 Tue Oct 9 04:29:39 EDT 2001 ppc unknown
bash --version: GNU bash, version 2.04.11(1)-release
(powerpc-yellowdog-linux-gnu)

YellowDogLinux is basically a RH 7.1 if I understand things correctly.

I am calling it via a bash shell script like this:

curl -u $FTPUSER:$FTPPASS -T$BACKUPDIR/$COMPUTER-DAILY-$YEAR$NOM$DOM.tgz \
ftp://$FTPSERVER$FTPPATH$COMPUTER-DAILY-$YEAR$NOM$DOM.tgz

Everything goes basically ok, but curl returns something like this every
single time:

curl: (18) Wrote only partial file (11783908 out of 11691024 bytes)

You will notice it only wrote _more_ than the file size, and counted this as
a partial transfer.

The file is listed in both file systems as 11691024 bytes so that is correct
number in this case.

The target ftp server is a Mac OS something box running the WebStar sever
software and I don't have access to it, but it reports:

SYST
215 UNIX WebSTAR FTP.
Host type (S): UNIX (standard)

The resulting files seem to be fine, they are .tgz files and they un gzip
and untar just fine.

I searched the curl website and google but didn't see anything like this
issue, sorry if I missed it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Blake

Blake Girardot, Installation and Training
blake -> contextcraft com
Context Craft LLC