v8 --enable-dream-mode

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:39:35 +0100 (MET)

With christmas banging on the door, it is time to wish for things to come
true.

(This is a cross-post, as this concerns both the tool and the library.)

curl v8 (hey any witty names for the V8 release are welcome!) is actually
starting to take shape in my head. With the upcoming new interface (still
being very early designed and hardly no code exists for it yet), I think it
is fair to say that curl will take a big leap into a new era.

So, as we change/add a major API we could just as well re-evaluate how we do
things today to see if we could do them better tomorrow. What features are
missing? What blue-sky visions do you have that's been dismissed from your
mind or by me (eh, well I *know* I dismiss people and ideas at times, I'm not
always mankind's best friend)? LDAP and DICT support should also be
re-considered if they are to remain in libcurl or not. Hardly anyone uses
them (AFAIK).

Open your mind and show us what pops out.

I previously thought that I'd be able to get a very early multi-interface
implementaion ready for a rough preview before christmas, but I now realize
that I won't be able to meet that schedule. To prevent me from having to push
more dates, I'll just refrain from mention a date at the moment and just say
that I hope to get a rough preview ready as soon as possible, but it won't
happen in 2001.