Re: Solaris 8 Intel Installaion

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:50:05 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Marcus Webster wrote:

> I am trying to install Curl on Solaris 8 (for Intel). I have succeeded in
> installing it without SSL support using GCC 3.0.2, the problem comes when
> I try to build it with SSL.

This problem very much resembles what Al Sparks posted about on november 21:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2001-11/0135.html to which I replied this:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2001-11/0140.html

It isn't quite a complete solution, but then Al Sparks has not returned with
any further details as of this date.

> However the build now fails on the stage where it links together the
> object file to create libcurl.so.2.0.2, due to some undefined symbols
> required by OpenSSL:
>
> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> __umoddi3 /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)
> __udivdi3 /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)
> __eprintf /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)

> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
> .libs/libcurl.so.2.0.2
>
> I read somewhere that the undefined symbols are internal functions found
> in libgcc.

Yes, so I've learned as well.

> So I'm guessing that I need to link in libgcc somwhere, but there seem to
> be warnings of dire consequences in the Curl configure script about doing
> such things. Does anybody have some advice on how I should resolve this
> problem?

Apart from the suggestion I quote my previous mail (as linked above), I
figure it could be worth trying to link the final library using 'gcc' instead
of the system 'ld'.

Anyone around with a clever fix?