Solaris 8 Intel Installaion

From: Marcus Webster <marcus.webster_at_phocis.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:33:22 -0000

I am trying to install Curl on Solaris 8 (for Intel). I have succeeded in installing it without SSL support using GCC 3.0.2, the problem comes when I try to build it with SSL.

I have successfully installed OpenSSL 0.9.6b, the tests supplied with the install all succeed. I have rerun configure for Curl with the "--with-ssl" set and it reports that it has found the OpenSSL libraries. However the build now fails on the stage where it links together the object file to create libcurl.so.2.0.2, due to some undefined symbols required by OpenSSL:

Undefined first referenced
 symbol in file
__umoddi3 /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)
__udivdi3 /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)
__eprintf /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(b_print.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/libcurl.so.2.0.2

I read somewhere that the undefined symbols are internal functions found in libgcc.

So I'm guessing that I need to link in libgcc somwhere, but there seem to be warnings of dire consequences in the Curl configure script about doing such things. Does anybody have some advice on how I should resolve this problem?

Marcus Webster