Re: Need Some Help Installing OpenSSL

From: Jeff Miller <jeffopensrs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:43:14 -0500

>1. How did files refering to curl end up in the libs and include
    directories? I thought the configure failed?

I first installed cURL without SSL as per your instructions in your initial
reply:

>When you've unpacked it, run './config' and then 'make' and 'make install'.
>Done.
>
>If you'd rather install OpenSSL in your home directory, as you don't have
>root access, then run the config like this instead:
>
>./config --prefix=$HOME
>
>and the others like explained above.
>
>After it is installed, you can make curl's configure script find it by
using it like this:

>./configure --with-ssl=$HOME

2. You did './config --prefix=$HOME', and then HOME turned out to be
    "/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b"

3. Then, just afterwards you do
    "./configure --with-ssl=$HOME --prefix=$HOME" in curl's directory, and
    then all of a sudden HOME is "/home/USERID" !!

That is correct. When I told openssl to install it in HOME it installed it
under modules/openssl-0.9.6b but when I told cURL to install at HOME it is
under /home/USERID. It's strange.

Jeff