Re: Need Some Help Installing OpenSSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:17:56 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Jeff Miller wrote:

> OK...I went back and recompiled OpenSSL entering:
>
> ./config --prefix=$HOME
>
> make
>
> make install
>
> just to make sure it was complete. For some reason it must be seeing
> $HOME as /home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b instead of /home/USERID/.
> The only files under libs and include refer to curl.
>
> The openssl directory is under the following:
>
> /modules/openssl-0.9.6b/include/openssl

It doesn't make sense.

 1. How did files refering to curl end up in the libs and include
    directories? I thought the configure failed?

 2. You did './config --prefix=$HOME', and then HOME turned out to be
    "/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b"

 3. Then, just afterwards you do
    "./configure --with-ssl=$HOME --prefix=$HOME" in curl's directory, and
    then all of a sudden HOME is "/home/USERID" !!

> >And there *is* a libcrypto.a in /home/USERID/lib, right?
> >
> >'ar vt /home/USERID/lib/libcrypto.a' shows a bunch of object files, right?
>
> There is a cryptlib.c, .h, and, o under this directory:
> /modules/openssl-0.9.6b/crypto

Yes, but when you do 'make install' in the openssl directory, you'll get a
lib directory created (where you pointed --prefix) and in that there should
be two libs: libcrypto.a and libssl.a.

> Do you think I should just unpack all the OpenSSL files directory in my
> home directory then do the ./config --prefix=$HOME, make install, and
> install from there?

It doesn't matter at all where you unpack it. What matters is where you
install it.

> >Can you manually make a tiny little program like that and make it link with
> >those libs?
>
> I'm kinda confused...what do I need to do?

Don't bother with that yet. Solve the issues above first!