Re: Need Some Help Installing OpenSSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:13:05 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Jeff Miller wrote:

> Just after I sent that last email this error came up when running the last
> step (./configure --with-ssl=$HOME):

> checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... no
> checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto... no
> configure: error: OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not found where
> specified!
> venus:/curl/curl-7.9.1 >
>
> I installed OpenSSL in the following directory:
>
> /home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b

Did you really *install* openssl there? Isn't that simply the directory in
which you unpacked and built everything in?

The install directory is the one you gave with

        ./config --prefix=/stash/openssl/here

... and that is done when you do 'make install'

> Any ideas?

If you really did the config with prefix, make install and the configure with
that prefix in the curl directory, then it is interesting for us to see your
config.log file in the curl directory that contains all results from all
configure tests. Paste the relevant SSL ones into a mail here.

[from your other mail]

> Since I installed it into my home directory do I need to do anything
> different when using scripts that require cURL and OpenSSL?

Well, you should use the --prefix=$HOME to the curl configure script too and
then when you do 'make install' in the curl directory you'll get a perfectly
working curl binary in your $HOME/bin directory. Just use that and everything
well be just fine!