Re: Need Some Help Installing OpenSSL

From: Jeff Miller <jeffopensrs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:19:09 -0500

Daniel,

Yes, /home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b is where I had unpacked and built
everything but I don't see anything relating to OpenSSL in any of the
directories in my home directory except for modules/openssl-0.9.6b.

When I installed OpenSSL I entered this:

./config --prefix=$HOME

I thought entering this would make cURL find where OpenSSL was so it
wouldn't matter where it was installed:

./configure --with-ssl=$HOME

Below is a copy from the config.log file:

configure:9874: checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto
configure:9901: gcc -o conftest -g -O2
-I/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/include/openssl
-I/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/include
-L/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/lib conftest.c -lcrypto -ldl -lsocket
-lnsl >&5
ld: fatal: library -lcrypto: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
configure:9904: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 9882 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error. */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply. */
char CRYPTO_lock ();
int
main ()
{
CRYPTO_lock ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:9921: result: no
configure:9933: checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto
configure:9960: gcc -o conftest -g -O2
-I/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/include/openssl
-I/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/include
-L/home/USERID/modules/openssl-0.9.6b/lib conftest.c -lcrypto -ldl -lsocket
-lnsl >&5
ld: fatal: library -lcrypto: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
configure:9963: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 9941 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error. */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply. */
char CRYPTO_add_lock ();
int
main ()
{
CRYPTO_add_lock ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:9980: result: no
configure:10291: error: OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not found where
specified!

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff