Re: Can't view strange Java URL with Curl. Is it possible?

From: Nick Chirca <terra_at_vl.ro>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:46:08 +0200 (EET)

> > And i then view test.html via Internet Explorer, apart from the obvious
> > images being missing etc.. its also all out of alignment??
>
> Load the page in IE and save it to a file. Then compare it with test.html.

I did that... and it took me a while to actually see that it was not me
making a mistake in my perl regexp, but actually it was the html page I
got.

> Most likely, the site is giving you different HTML depending on which browser
> you are accessing the site with. Some people enjoy doing that.

You do have a point with what you say above, but in my case this
doesn't apply. I am always using fake Using agents strings. Otherwise some
sites won't let me in...

>Apparently, they think standards are evil.
>
> > I thought that this command would have taken a clone of the code from the
> > original page and saved it to test.html, therefore when viewed with IE it
> > should look identical.
>
> Curl will fetch what the server sends. There is no magic.

I think I am in love... I'm in love with curl...
And I certainly do need to understand more of the TCP standards, network
programming and sockets programming...

> If it's a case of browser-specific HTML, you can use the --user-agent
> parameter to fool the server into thinking you are using a specific browser.

Well, it's not this...

--
Nick...
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice !"