Re: Can't view strange Java URL with Curl. Is it possible?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:13:36 +0100 (CET)

Ham Frulong wrote:

> And i then view test.html via Internet Explorer, apart from the obvious
> images being missing etc.. its also all out of alignment??

Load the page in IE and save it to a file. Then compare it with test.html.

Most likely, the site is giving you different HTML depending on which browser
you are accessing the site with. Some people enjoy doing that. Apparently,
they think standards are evil.

> I thought that this command would have taken a clone of the code from the
> original page and saved it to test.html, therefore when viewed with IE it
> should look identical.

Curl will fetch what the server sends. There is no magic.

If it's a case of browser-specific HTML, you can use the --user-agent
parameter to fool the server into thinking you are using a specific browser.

/Björn