Re: Curl Exit code = 51: SSL connection using (NONE)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:24:23 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> curl 7.8.1 (i386-pc-solaris2.8) libcurl 7.8.1 (OpenSSL 0.9.6b)

> But every once in a while, one of our transactions fails with
>
> Curl Exit code = 51
> stderr=* SSL connection using (NONE)
> stdout=null
>
> Which supposedly means: "The remote peer's SSL certificate wasn't ok"
>
> That doesn't seem too likely.
>
> Now I see in the change log:
>
> CURLE_GOT_NOTHING is a new possible error code
>
> as well as
>
> now properly returns an error code when connection to an SSL server with
> a non-legitimate certificate.
>
> Would these changes address the problem?

No. I don't think this is a client-side only problem. The change mentioned in
the second paragraph is however gonna give you a more accurate error
description of the problem so you'll be able to understand it better.

We have fixed SSL-related stuff since 7.8.1, but they involved persistant
connections. We're also aware of some problems related to SSL through
(broken) HTTP proxies, and we're working on a fix for that.

> What exactly IS the problem? (The error sent to stderr doesn't enlighten
> me.)

No, that error message is kind of silly. But the text "SSL connection using
(NONE)" indicates that SSL couldn't negotiate a set of ciphers to use and
using NONE surely can't be OK when an SSL connection is attempted.

It might help by either enforcing an SSL version (with -3/--sslv3) or by
setting a preferred list of ciphers (with --ciphers).

I'd advice you to upgrade to get a better error message, then try the
options.