Re: hits/directions to using autoconf and friends

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_filibusta.crema.unimi.it>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:46:55 +0200

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:59:00PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>
> > i received this useful document by debian-devel mailing list. i'm posting
> > here because this is a good cove of hackers :)
>
> While I understand his concerns, I cannot see how those problems directly
> relate to how we administrate curl as a project.

indeed his concerns do not directly relate to curl administration and i
didn't post it here because i'm concerned with curl project :) i posted it
here because people listening to this mailing list may learn something new,
as i did, from this messagee. this was what i meant with "i'm posting here
because this is a good cove of hackers" :)

> > however i'd like to not see files like stamp-h1.in, src/stamp-h2.in and
> > src/hugehelp.c files any more in future released tarball.
>
> I fully agree with you that those stamp-h*.in files are annoying. They're
> included automatically by automake in distributions, and that's the only
> reason they're in there. I still consider them rather harmless due to their
> very small sizes.
>
> The src/hugehelp.c is generated (using a perl script), yes, but I don't want
> to force developers into installing perl just to build curl so thus I include
> the file in the release archives. I can't see why this would cause anyone any
> problem. It is not included in the CVS tree for these reasons and thus to
> build properly from CVS you need perl.

hmmm.. interesting, i never thought at this... i need to add perl to the build
dependencies of curl debian package, since it is standard practise to call
"make distclean" before building a debian package.

> If someone else wants to add files from a curl release archive to another
> CVS, then that is really their problem, not ours.

i only expressed a wish, i didn't say it was a problem. anyway thanks :)

cheers :)

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50