Re: cygwin related changes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:08:29 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

(Sorry for the slight delay)

> First of all, the two minor changes.

[snip]

> I'm wondering if these changes can be put into the cURL sources without
> messing up anyone else's build environments (particularly the mingw32
> one). If not, I assume I'd have to go the route of creating custom cygwin
> Makefiles?

They've both been committed to CVS already. None of the other win32
environments actually run any configure scripts or the portable makefiles, so
these changes will not affect them.

[ building a cygwin package ]

> I'm sure I could create a very simple shell script to do this, however
> I'm wondering if any kind soul on this list would help me out by
> describing any already automated ways to do similar things for other cURL
> binary builds (such as the linux RPMs or the base distribution). That way
> I have a starting point.

There are at least two different build targets in the root Makefile that
might be interesting to take inspiration from. The 'rpm' target for building
Linux RPM packages and the 'pkgadd' for building Solaris pkg archives.

> Also, can we change the main Makefile.am's "install" target to support
> copying the necessary docs into the right places (/usr/doc/Cygwin, plus
> /usr/doc/curl-7.9) if the platform in use is CYGWIN? That way, I don't
> have to maintain a list of doc files in this shell script; a simple `make
> install` will get them for me... If this is appropriate, I'd be willing
> to try and figure out how, although I'm sure someone else who actually is
> familiar with makefiles could probably do it much easier.

Well I wouldn't mind adding such changes as long as they don't mess up for
other platforms/environments.

Normally, such a 'docs' directory would be set with:

 ./configure --mandir=/usr/doc/curl-7.9

... and thus of course wouldn't require any cygwin specific changes.