Re: hits/directions to using autoconf and friends

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:59:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> i received this useful document by debian-devel mailing list. i'm posting
> here because this is a good cove of hackers :)

While I understand his concerns, I cannot see how those problems directly
relate to how we administrate curl as a project.

> however i'd like to not see files like stamp-h1.in, src/stamp-h2.in and
> src/hugehelp.c files any more in future released tarball.

I fully agree with you that those stamp-h*.in files are annoying. They're
included automatically by automake in distributions, and that's the only
reason they're in there. I still consider them rather harmless due to their
very small sizes.

The src/hugehelp.c is generated (using a perl script), yes, but I don't want
to force developers into installing perl just to build curl so thus I include
the file in the release archives. I can't see why this would cause anyone any
problem. It is not included in the CVS tree for these reasons and thus to
build properly from CVS you need perl.

If someone else wants to add files from a curl release archive to another
CVS, then that is really their problem, not ours.