Re: install problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:20:25 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Erik Sandblom wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping you could help me here,
>
> when I typed "make" at the prompt like it says in the instructions in the
> INSTALL file, I got error messages for half an hour, and they all seemed
> to be different. After a while they looked like this,
>
> ./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
> ./config.status: test: -gt: unary operator expected

This looks like your system is severly screwed up.

Can you show us your output from ./configure? Can you show us the output from
'uname -a' and 'gcc -v'?

Can you show us the very first error messages you got?

Can you build other applications using that account?

> The RPM error message was
> "only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
> error: curl-7.9-1rh62.i386.rpm cannot be installed"

That's the Redhat RPM trap. You need to upgrade your local 'rpm' to version 4
first, to be able to use recent RPM packages. You need to find an rpm v4
package built with rpm version 3.