install problem

From: Erik Sandblom <sandblom_at_artech.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:27:39 +0200

Hi, I'm hoping you could help me here,

when I typed "make" at the prompt like it says in the instructions in the
INSTALL file, I got error messages for half an hour, and they all seemed to
be different. After a while they looked like this,

./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
./config.status: test: -gt: unary operator expected
./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
./config.status: test: -gt: unary operator expected
./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!
./config.status: test: -gt: unary operator expected
./config.status: Can't make pipes for command substitution!

I have no idea what this might mean. I didn't use RPM because that gave me
errors too, and I am trying to install Curl in my home directory at my ISP
account without root privileges. I believe they run Redhat6.

The RPM error message was
"only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
error: curl-7.9-1rh62.i386.rpm cannot be installed"

TIA

--
my website is EriksRailNews.com
"There can be no cause or grievance that could ever justify such unspeakable