Re: curl-config reports wrong info!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:48:07 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> during ./configure curl-config.in (which is a shell script, you all know)
> gets transformed in curl-config. all this script does is printing the
> $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS and the like that configure is putting in Makefiles.
>
> when i compile curl with ssl on my debian system i don't need to specify
> anything but --with-ssl on configure commandline since my developing
> anvironment is already set up for compiling the right way with ssl
> libraries. the matter is the configure thinks it is getting ssl stuff
> from /usr/local/ssl... you know where i'm going, curl-config will
> eventually say to get includes and libs from /usr/local/ssl.

Hm, actually, curl-config is not wrong (by my definition). I can't be wrong,
it just shows what the contents of the variables in configure are/were at the
time it ran. If the curl-config data ends up wrong, it is because the
configure script is wrong.

The problem is thus that the configure script sets up paths for SSL to
directories that aren't correct or needed. Right?

But then, if you use --with-ssl for configure, it _will_ add those
directories. If you have your defaults in your environment already setup
correctly, then you shouldn't even need the --with-ssl option (since curl's
configure script will always check for the presense of ssl in the default
directories).

> this is completely wrong. oh... maybe this is no harmful since again the
> build environment for the developer using libcurl is that of debian, so
> works for him as it works for me. anyway, the main purpose of curl-config
> is missed.

I disagree. Even if some path info is wrong in the curl-config, that is the
exact information that was used to build curl. How can that be wrong if curl
built fine with it?

There's no option to curl-config to tell where the SSL libs are located, as
the configure script never really figures that out (in all cases). It
features --libs that can be used to compile and build libcurl based
applications.

> i see that for kerberos you can specify separate includes and libs
> directories, i think that a feature like this for ssl stuff would let me
> build everything as i (and debian) need.

I don't think I've fully understood how you're doing things. You mean you
need parts of the stuff configure sets up on --with-ssl but not everything?

Please tell me where I'm wrong and what I've failed to grasp!

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/