Re: curl-config reports wrong info!

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_filibusta.crema.unimi.it>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:17:41 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 03:48:07PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2001, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>
> > during ./configure curl-config.in (which is a shell script, you all know)
> > gets transformed in curl-config. all this script does is printing the
> > $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS and the like that configure is putting in Makefiles.
> >
> > when i compile curl with ssl on my debian system i don't need to specify
> > anything but --with-ssl on configure commandline since my developing
> > anvironment is already set up for compiling the right way with ssl
> > libraries. the matter is the configure thinks it is getting ssl stuff
> > from /usr/local/ssl... you know where i'm going, curl-config will
> > eventually say to get includes and libs from /usr/local/ssl.
>
> Hm, actually, curl-config is not wrong (by my definition). I can't be wrong,
> it just shows what the contents of the variables in configure are/were at the
> time it ran. If the curl-config data ends up wrong, it is because the
> configure script is wrong.

yes yes yes, right

> The problem is thus that the configure script sets up paths for SSL to
> directories that aren't correct or needed. Right?

yes, right. in my context, they are not needed *and* incorrect. and really
not used in building debian package simply because compiler/linker searchs
for standard locations and finds them rightly

> But then, if you use --with-ssl for configure, it _will_ add those
> directories. If you have your defaults in your environment already setup
hmmm... yes
> correctly, then you shouldn't even need the --with-ssl option (since curl's
> configure script will always check for the presense of ssl in the default
> directories).

i didn't thought at this, which should already solve the problem, indeed it
does greatly :))

> > this is completely wrong. oh... maybe this is no harmful since again the
> > build environment for the developer using libcurl is that of debian, so
> > works for him as it works for me. anyway, the main purpose of curl-config
> > is missed.
>
> I disagree. Even if some path info is wrong in the curl-config, that is the
> exact information that was used to build curl. How can that be wrong if curl
> built fine with it?

because, as i said before, the wrong ones (those "guessed" by configure) are
not used building curl packages and most probably will not be used by any
other developer

> There's no option to curl-config to tell where the SSL libs are located, as
> the configure script never really figures that out (in all cases). It
> features --libs that can be used to compile and build libcurl based
> applications.

of course, curl-config shows what configure tells it to show. you said, if
curl-config is wrong then configure is the real problem

> > i see that for kerberos you can specify separate includes and libs
> > directories, i think that a feature like this for ssl stuff would let me
> > build everything as i (and debian) need.
>
> I don't think I've fully understood how you're doing things. You mean you
> need parts of the stuff configure sets up on --with-ssl but not everything?

oki, you wanted it :))

 --[cavok_at_hehe 5 ~<% ls /usr/include/openssl
asn1.h buffer.h crypto.h e_os.h hmac.h md5.h opensslv.h rand.h rsa.h ssl23.h tmdiff.h
asn1_mac.h cast.h des.h e_os2.h idea.h mdc2.h pem.h rc2.h safestack.h ssl3.h txt_db.h
bio.h comp.h dh.h ebcdic.h lhash.h obj_mac.h pem2.h rc4.h sha.h stack.h x509.h
blowfish.h conf.h dsa.h err.h md2.h objects.h pkcs12.h rc5.h ssl.h symhacks.h x509_vfy.h
bn.h conf_api.h dso.h evp.h md4.h opensslconf.h pkcs7.h ripemd.h ssl2.h tls1.h x509v3.h
 --[cavok_at_hehe 6 ~<% ls -l /usr/lib/libssl*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 241396 May 14 20:52 /usr/lib/libssl.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 16 16:20 /usr/lib/libssl.so -> libssl.so.0.9.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 179288 May 14 20:52 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6
 --[cavok_at_hehe 7 ~<% curl-config --cflags
-I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl -I/usr/local/ssl/include
 --[cavok_at_hehe 8 ~<% curl-config --libs
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -ldl

do you see? ok, forget it :) i don't use --with-ssl any more since i
make curl-ssl packages build in an environment already set up for
linking with ssl stuff, configure does the remaining work.

> Please tell me where I'm wrong and what I've failed to grasp!
no, don't disperate :) i'm here, everything is over, over :)))

thanks daniel, you are always very patient solving my problems :))

cheers
cavok

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50