RE: IMPORTANT: Notice To Post For cURL Users

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:07:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 13 May 2001, F Laborde wrote:

> Using the precompiled win32 PHP4.05 package, whenever one tries to use
> the cURL extension, the system indicates it can't find MSVCR70.DLL...

Ah, ok. So the problem is not with curl, it is with the precompiled PHP
package for win32.

I figure this warnings message ought to be included in that archive then. We
don't offer any such packages from the curl project or the curl web site.

The win32 packages we offer from our web site all work without that
workaround.

> I am guessing (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that apache/php asks
> for this DLL because the binary was compiled with a newer version of
> Visual Studios (version 7.0? .NET? ) that comes with this DLL -- and so
> if we don't have a newer Microsoft product that would install this DLL,
> we'll have to work around it. Ideal solution: compile the win32 version
> with an older visual studios (6.0?) that shouldn't claim to need this
> DLL.

I don't have any knowledge in this area to fill you in with any details. I
blindly trust you on this.

> *However* in the meantime, the work around (that appears to be fully
> working for me) is to copy the msvcrt.dll into the requested missing DLL
> (msvcf70.dll) -- then apache + php 4.05 will load with teh cURL extension
> no problem.

Thanks for telling us about these findings. If you know who's providing that
binary win32 package, it would be really swell of you to send a similar note
to him/her/them.

[As this is not really related to anything we provide or offer, this note is
"only" a news item on the curl web site right now.]