Re: perl - Curl-easy-1.1.5 patch...

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:58:23 +1000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Georg Horn wrote:
>
> > As i have originally started that thing i thought i was the master...
>
> I think we all still think of you as that too.

Absolutely...

> First, having the perl interface in the curl CVS doesn't necessarily mean we
> must put it in the release archives. CVS can serve as just a great way to
> work on source code in a distributed manner.

Exactly, CVS lets Georg and I do updates without bothering each other (except to
discuss details...)

> Secondly, I thought that having the perl interface included in the actual
> curl archive would boost its popularity and knowledge about it. There's
> nothing that forces to keep the interface in release archives if it turns
> awkward. I like to push for libcurl in the curl releases, and one way to do
> that is to show that we have multiple language interfaces for it.

I don't mind either way - actually, I suspect CPAN should get a copy of
Curl::easy releases from the CVS anyway, as thats where people go looking for
perl glue...

Its certainly useful to have it in the curl source distro. Perhaps we should
brush up the rpm automake scripts to produce perl-Curl-easy.rpm as a separate
rpm.

> Thirdly, I hope you guys keep up the pace and release perl interface archives
> separately from the main curl archives. I'll just include whatever's the most
> recent when I release something.
> > But on the other hand, i do not have much time to maintain the perl
> > interface, and in no case i want to waste time with such discussions...
>
> I value opinions, even (or perhaps especially) if they don't match my own.

I hope to contribute useful stuff whenever - I'm using Curl::easy to 'scratch an
itch' at present (the usual reason for open source participation), and as long as
I can help improve the tool, thats great, but there's always a chance I won't be
able to make curl top priority sometime (for example, I have a habit of taking 6
month holidays every few years), so....

> > If Cris wants to maintain the perl interface in the future, and Daniel
> > wants to give him write acces to the cvs, feel free to do so.
>
> Hey, I'll give you write access too the minute you're up to it! ;-)

... I strongly encourage Georg to maintain access to the CVS and do whatever he
thinks is the right thing. That way, neither of us is the 'master', the CVS is,
and if one or other gets hit by a bus, there's no issue....

Even if we couldn't agree on anything, the worst that could happen is we start 2
branches in CVS! Isn't life fun :-)

Cris