curl & Solaris and other packages

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:41:09 +1000

I'm planning to make solaris packages out of the current curl release ('pkgadd
format'). I noticed that some contributors (the written word and Jean Robertson)
have made packages of previous versions (7.5.1). Unfortunately, the process by
which the packages were made is not necessarily clear, as the steps are not
scripted in the curl sources...

I have written some automake files which, together with a couple of lines in
configure.in, will create a makefile which can make a solaris package.

Before I offer them for inclusion in the CVS, I would like to collect a few
opinions:

* Daniel/Haxx: Solaris packages need a short package name, 3 or 4 characters
upper case for the 'organisation' and 3 or 4 lower case for the package. Longer
ones cause trouble. I'm suggesting 'HAXXcurl' as the package name. Any comments?

Solaris users:

* What would you prefer as the default install directory? /usr/local/{bin,lib}
(default), /opt/curl/{bin,lib}, /opt/HAXXcurl/{bin,lib} (solaris opt package
standard) etc.

* By default, my automake stuff produces a 'pkgtrans' format (package stream)
file (one big file) rather than the 'intermediate' pkgadd directory structure.
Any strong preferences for either format ? (I personally don't like the tree
format, you end up having to tarball it anyway...)

* Should the pkg build gzip or compress the .pkgadd file by default?

Other operating system users (?) - does your system use pkgadd? Are the same
tools (pkgmk, pkgtrans etc.) used to build a pkg on your O/S? If the automake is
portable, so much the better...

Cris