Re: Which files do I need to keep?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:54:20 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Bill Wood wrote:

> I installed cURL and have it working fine but, I would like to delete the
> curl-7.5.2 directory that it was installed from. The problem is that
> apparently cURL still needs some of the files in there to work.

That'll be the case with curl using shared libraries until you use 'make
install' to install curl and related files.

> My install was a little out of the ordinary because I have the KNOWN
> PROBLEM listed in the install docs. ie- the autoconf on my server is
> older than 2.12.
>
> When I installed I had to do the following:
>
> ./configure [...]
> cd lib; make; cd ..
> cd src; make; cd ..
>
> I then copied the following files:
>
> cp /curl-7.5.2/src/.libs/* /bin/.libs
> cp /curl-7.5.2/src/curl /bin/
>
> There must be more files that would normally be copied during the
> automatic install. Anyone know what those files and/or directories might
> be? I'm running on a Redhat Linux box with PERL 5 and Apache.

You have a few different options here (except the obvious: upgrading those
scripts).

I'd recommend the one brought to us by David West in the mail archived at
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2001-01/0044.html . It describes how he made
two tiny faked scripts to get around that problem. By using his method, you
can use the 'make' and 'make install' targets just fine.

Another solution would be to edit your PATH variable before you invoke
configure, so that it doesn't contain the directory with the old scripts.

Using --disable-shared to configure will switch off shared library building
and thus the /curl-7.5.2/src/curl file will be a plain single executable
without dependency on a shared-library libcurl. It makes curl easier to
install manually.