Re: building RPMs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:26:10 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Troy Engel wrote:

> If you add a rule to maketgz or make dist (I leave that to you guys to
> fight out :-)

Actually, I've now rewritten the maketgz to first fiddle with the version
numbers and then invoke 'make dist'. Best of both worlds!

> to process curl.spec.in -> curl.spec, and then include curl.spec in the
> tarball, any user can:
>
> rpm -ta curl-7.5.2.tar.gz

The problem would be that we'd then need to process the curl.spec.in file
*before* we build the archive. That is just not done now, as the curl.spec.in
-> curl.spec process is done by the configure script when you've received the
archive and unpacked it.

Thanks to Loic Dachary's hard work, we could build RPMs late yesterday night
by using 'make rpms' in the curl root directory. We do this by generating the
.spec files by the configure script and then the makefile sets up the correct
.spec file to build the proper RPMs.

We've also got all the automake stuff to work fully so that even the
oh-so-very-fancy 'make distcheck' works. It automatically builds a release
archive, unpacks it, configures it, installs it, run all tests and says
'archive is ok to release', then it removes the installation again and
leaves only the release archive.

We do need some more people trying this (bulding RPMs) of course, and I
figure we need some more documentation on how to do this (other than the
current text in Makefile.am).