Re: curl packaging & rpm

From: Loic Dachary <loic_at_senga.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:10:05 +0100 (CET)

Daniel Stenberg writes:
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 loic_at_gnu.org wrote:
>
> > I had problems rebuilding the binary packages from the 7.5.2 source rpm.
>
> How come? There are .spec files included that should work.

 ${prefix}/man/man1/* was incorrect on RedHat-7 since man pages are in
the share directory. I changed this to ${_mandir}/man1/*. I was in the mood of
doing some good to curl and spend an hour to do the modification properly.
I used _libdir, _includdir, _bindir and _mandir where appropriate.

> I do appriciate your efforts, but I feel I have to say that your fix leaves a
> lot in a bad state. I applied your entire patch and then I made a new 7.5.2
> release using 'make dist' and compared the list of files included in the
> archives. The dist-version lacked no less than 26 entries (as listed with
> 'tar -vztf <file>').

 I did not check that. I just made sure that the release built had the
necessary files to build a working distribution. Do you mean that
make distcheck + make rpms does not work for you ?

> Anyway, I'll commit most of your fixes and continue working on them until
> they do fine. BTW, I build releases with the 'maketgz' script.

 I noticed this and I assumed you would continue to do so. I thought, however,
that it would not do any harm and will help some people like me to be able
to use the standard way to build distributions (make dist). If you want to
use make dist rpms for the published distributions, I'd be happy to do the
necessary work so that make dist exactly match what is built by maketgz.
However, if you don't use make dist yourself the make dist will always be
out of sync with maketgz since you won't update the Makefile.am EXTRA_DIST
but only the FILES list.

> > I use curl for the new version of my crawler and I like to be able
> > to re-build the curl distribution by doing:
>
> Why do you need to rebuild curl?

 I don't have write access to the CVS tree, therefore when I apply a patch I
do the following. patch, make test, make dist rpms, copy rpm to other machines,
rpm -ivh to install the patched version, send the patch to the list, wait
for it to be accepted, cvs update from time to time.

 Do you suggest another way of doing this ?

 And BTW, thanks for your continuous efforts for providing curl ;-)

--
Loic   Dachary         http://www.dachary.org/  loic@dachary.org
24 av Secretan         http://www.senga.org/      loic@senga.org