Re: Through proxy to dialup internet

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:05:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Anzej Lemut wrote:

> When I use:
>
> curl -o "c:\InetPub\wwwroot\Tecaji\tecaji.htm"
> http://www.bsi.si/html/financni_podatki/dnevni/tecajna_lista.asp
>
> in a batch file (and the dial-up line is curently down) I get an: curl:
> (6) Couldn't resolv host 'www.bsi.si' message.

Curl uses the standard system name resolver functions to get the actual IP
number for the name you enter. In this case, you want to reach the host named
www.bsi.si and when curl tries to resolve its name into an IP address the
system function returns an error.

This is not curl's fault. Your system can't resolve that name while being
off-line.

> When I use the same batch file at the time the line is up the requested
> page gets downloaded!?

Yes, because then curl can get the name information from the name server.

> But when I use:
> curl -o "c:\InetPub\wwwroot\Tecaji\tecaji.htm" -U username:password -x
> server1:80 http://www.bsi.si/html/financni_podatki/dnevni/tecajna_lista.asp
>
> in the batch file (where server1 is the name of my MSproxy 2.0 server and
> 80 the port I use) I get an "HTTP Error 407:407 Proxy Authentication
> Required" message in my destination file. This happens no mather which
> usermame I use, no mather if I use any username. Whatever I do, if I use
> the -x server1:80 switch (port 1080 or 8080), I get the 407 error from
> wherever in the LAN network

This is an entirely different story. This is the proxy requiring
authorization. This is either a curl bug or bad username+password entered by
you.

Could you show me the headers that curl sends in its request and the headers
the proxy replies? Edit the sensitive data before posting.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77