Re: Building on NT problems...

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.nu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:27:52 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Pascal Gaudette wrote:

> I am attempting to build libcurl.lib (6.4) on NT4 (SP5) with VC6 and am
> having some problems. I thought I'd ask here to see if I am doing
> something wrong or whether my experience is typical.

Well, let me just in short explain where the root of these problems is:
there's no configure for win32.

Most of the win32 stuff in the curl sources have grown to more or less assume
the mingw32 compiler, since it is free and good. The VC++ makefiles have
fallen behind because there hasn't been anyone around to maintain them.

> a) The file "src/config-win32.h" includes
>
> #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
>
> but I neither I nor VC6 can seem to locate that header file, so I had to
> comment out that line.

That's indeed a problem since the mingw32 compiler seems to have it... Is
there some mingw32 or VC specific defines we can use to #ifdef that #define?

> Once I made those two corrections, I was able to build the lib, make a
> simple test program and link it against libcurl and successfully test it.
> Did I miss something or are these genuine issues?

That should be it.

> Overall I must say I'm quite pleased with cURL. The lib built out of the
> box on Solaris and it's handled all the tests I've thrown at it so far.

It is only thanks to feedback like this we can keep it this way! :-)

> BTW, if I simply link a program against libcurl without making any source
> changes to the cURL source, am I correct in assuming that the MPL allows
> me to distribute my program in binary-only form? (This is important for
> my employer...)

As Bjorn Reese already replied: yes, that is a correct assumption.

--
   Daniel Stenberg - http://www.contactor.se/~dast - +46-705-44 31 77