Re: Considering a version 8 at some point...

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 23:54:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> Before bumping to version 8 at an arbitrarily chosen point in time (for some
> value of arbitrary given the 200th release), I think it's worth settling
> what the version scheme will look like post-8. Are we sticking to version 8
> "forever" like how we did with 7, or are we moving towards semver or similar
> schemes which may be more aligned with what users these days are used to?

A very sensible idea!

I believe there's value in occasionally bumping the major number. It feels
like a better use of the full resolution the version number offers. I think it
will also help users to better understand that they are using really old
versions when they start lagging behind in major version numbers - as I
suspect people don't *feel* the age difference of for example 7.29.0 vs 7.71.0
the same way 2.3 vs 4.2 or similar feels.

But that said, I don't have any particularly good idea or rule for when
exactly such major number bumps should happen in the future. Since we do
releases on a cycle, maybe we should just make a major bump cycle too. Every
5th year going forward?

In another email, Daniel Jeliński asked:

> Would it be a good time to start a stable (long-term support) version? Like
> in, version 7 would still get bug fixes, but no new features, and would be
> maintained until version 9 (or 10) goes out.

I don't think these questions need to nor benefit to get bundled together. We
can discuss a possible long-term support (LTS) branch independently of version
8.

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the idea. I'm not sure who the user
of that would be (since all the distros etc already run their own such
branches anyway independently) and I have respect for the large amount of work
and infrastructure it needs.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!