Re: Resolving Timeouts with /etc/hosts

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 12:40:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 May 2020, Damon Earp via curl-library wrote:

> I'm seeing requests fail due to "Resolving timed out after 2501
> milliseconds" and all the hostnames that are being resolved are in
> /etc/hosts. I am building both libcurl and c-ares from source, and
> statically linking them into the binary.

That totally sounds like a c-ares bug. I don't even think c-ares reads that
file asynchronously so it should return very quickly from that (and the
actually reading of the file cannot timeout). It rather seems like c-ares
(when it takes a long time) rather doesn't find it in the /etc/hosts file and
goes to try to DNS it.

I would suspect some peculiarity in the /etc/hosts file that triggers this,
but that's just my guess.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!