Resolving Timeouts with /etc/hosts

From: Damon Earp via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 09:32:34 -0500

I'm seeing requests fail due to "Resolving timed out after 2501
milliseconds" and all the hostnames that are being resolved are in
/etc/hosts. I am building both libcurl and c-ares from source, and
statically linking them into the binary.

Debian 9 (stretch)
libcurl 7.67.0
    Built w/ --enable-ares= --disable-threaded-resolver ... I practically
disable everything but http
c-ares 1.15.0
    Built w/ --enable-nonblocking

Currently each process has several multi handles, each in their own thread,
to handle requests. Load is currently low, only a dozen requests per second
and I'm getting ~2 of these failures every 5 minutes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Damon