RE: Incoming DES headache with OpenSSL 3

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 08:10:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Steve Holme via curl-library wrote:

>> D) Use another 3rd party DES lib (which?) when OpenSSLv3 is used.
>
> I contemplated something similar as well and looked at using third-party
> crypto libraries, such as libcrypt, for MD4, MD5 and DES should an SSL
> backend not support these.

For the OpenSSL case however, which is the one I was mostly concerned about in
this thread, I believe the answer is one that wasn't included among my list of

E) Switch to the API that still offers the functionality (EVP*) once the one
we currently use goes away. We will have a few years until this happens.

I also made configure set -DOPENSSL_SUPPRESS_DEPRECATED when we build with
OpenSSL 3 so we won't get those annoying deprecation warnings.

> Hopefully I will get back onto curl stuff and get some contributions into
> the next release 😉

Music to my ears! =)

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!