Re[2]: libcurl version

From: Алексей via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 09:47:50 +0300

Thanks a lot, but I don’t need it. I can build it from sources but the problem is when it builds from sources there is no tests there and nobody guaranteed that it will be stable.
I just need to know if libcurl.4.3.0 from the curl-7.29.0 fully compatible with libcurl.4.3.0 from curl-7.40 or 7.43 or it is not.
If they are compatible I don’t need to care about newest curl version in the target system. This is my problem, I don’t have enough to care about that.

>Понедельник, 17 февраля 2020, 5:37 +03:00 от Dennis Clarke via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>:

>On 2020-02-16 11:26, Jeffrey Walton via curl-library wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Алексей via curl-library
>> < curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se > wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, but you didn’t answer on my question.
>>> Is that libraries files are equal or not? They have the same version in their names.
>>> I don’t need latest curl, I need to have ability to build plcontainer without updating curl in Centos with minimum packages and packages should be available without any buildings from source.
>>
>> I may be splitting hairs but... I think it is hard to say at the
>> moment. I think it depends on how you define "equal" for a shared
>> object.
>>
>> The 4.3.0 in libcurl.4.3.0.so is a versioning scheme used on Linux.
>> Regular people use the other scheme that you are asking about. It is
>> one of those disconnects created by engineers who lack ux experience
>> (or disregard it). Also see docs like
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html
>> .
>>
>> That both cURL 7.29.0 and cURL 7.43.0 each use Glibc version 4.3.0
>> tells you they are binary compatible. Obviously they won't be equal
>> because 7.43 has bug fixes not present in 7.29.
>>

>If he has Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 or CentOS7 then I can provide him
>with a small tarball that extracts into /opt/bw and all the libs he
>needs are there as well as git and other modern tools. Those things
>don't exist in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 or they are so old as to be
>almost worthless.
>

>--
>Dennis Clarke
>RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC