Re: Procedure to use libcurl without CURL_GLOBAL_SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:14:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, Dipak B via curl-library wrote:

> - What are the steps to initialise libcurl without CURL_GLOBAL_SSL? Could
> not find answer to this after spending time on this.

Since 7.57.0, CURL_GLOBAL_SSL has no meaning for libcurl. And before that, it
wasn't clearly documented what it meant anyway. Mentioned here:
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/knownbugs.html#CURL_GLOBAL_SSL

> -The documentation states that when CURL_GLOBAL_SSL is not used then
> initialisation of SSL layer needs to be done by application or atleast
> outside of libcurl.

Before 7.57.0, yes. But it was not clear exactly what it meant, correct. It
was highly error-prone and mostly artifacts of past decisions not reconsidered
in time.

> - My understanding is to call OpenSSL APIs for initialisation of TLS but
> then I will have to link to OpenSSL too.

Yes. But I would not go down that route if I were you, I would rather work
with a modern libcurl version and if you're missing something from the TLS
usage within libcurl (like FIPS) then work on fixing that inside libcurl
proper.

> Presently, I am linking with static libcurl only. Will this work? Is this
> the correct understanding?

Sure, since libcurl prusumably can use openssl then your app can too, if you
just link it correctly (and include the right headers etc).

> - What are steps to initialise TLS layer without using CURL_GLOBAL_SSL?

That's unsupported behavior these days. To go down that route, I would advice
you to consider paid support (for example as explained in my signature) as I
doubt many people here feel like doing archeology like that just for the fun
of it...

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me