Re: DEPRECATE.md

From: Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 15:53:16 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, Rich Gray wrote:
>
>>>    https://curl.haxx.se/dev/deprecate.html
>>
>> I wonder if for depreciation of build options like axTLS, you should
>> arrange a big warning message should anyone try to build it.  This may get
>> someone's attention when they might otherwise miss notification on this
>> list or the site.
>
> I think the downside with such an approach is that we then have to keep and
> maintain that option going forward, even when we no longer support that
> build setup. A little too much luggage for my taste, for passengers who have
> gotten off the boat already.
>
> Until the actual removal point I think that's a great way to trigger
> people's attention though and that's basically what building with axTLS will
> do until December 1st.

That's all I was suggesting. Just make sure anyone building it before the
final depreciation 'notices' what is about to happen. (Whether or not there
are people building this with any frequency, I have no idea. At at least
the curl project made an effort to warn them.) After depreciation, it will
simply not build. MAYBE there can be a vestigial comment here or there in
the build files for a while, but that's it.

Cheers!
Rich