should we really offer axTLS support ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 11:05:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

When we provide support to build curl with 3rd party libraries, some people
will take that as some (mild?) endorsement of that library. That curl plus
that lib will be a good end result to use.

axTLS is one of those 3rd party libraries but I have come to question it as of
late, and before I act in any way I wanted to bring it up here to see if there
are other or similar opinions on it floating around.

Here are some complaints I can gather on axTLS.

  - home page without HTTPS
  - doesn't support modern TLS features like SNI? [1]
  - lacks support for modern ciphers [5]
  - doesn't allow for outside bug report submissions [2]
  - there's virtually no discussion about it on [3] and [4]

Combined, I think list hints that this a library and project that we should
not recommend to uninformed users.

As a next step we can discuss what we can or should do about it.

[1] = https://github.com/dsheets/axtls/issues/2
[2] = https://sourceforge.net/p/axtls/bugs/
[3] = https://sourceforge.net/p/axtls/discussion/
[4] = https://sourceforge.net/p/axtls/mailman/axtls-general/