Possible documentation mistake for linking libcurl with openssl; also a question

From: Martin Galvan via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:00:08 -0300

In https://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html it says:

"If you have shared SSL libs installed in a directory where your
run-time linker doesn't find them (which usually causes configure
failures), you can provide the -R option to ld on some operating
systems to set a hard-coded path to the run-time linker:

LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/ssl/lib ./configure --with-ssl"

This may have some mistakes. First, LDFLAGS seems to be passed to the
compiler, not the linker, so the correct option should be
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-R/usr/local/ssl/lib (or just use -rpath explicitly
instead of -R). I tried using LDFLAGS=-R... on Ubuntu 17.10 and it
failed, while using -Wl worked fine.

Additionally, if you're linking against a newly built openssl I'm not
sure if just passing that to LDFLAGS would do the trick here. What I
ended up doing was:

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath=/path/to/openssl/lib -L/path/to/openssl/lib"
CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/openssl/include/" ./configure --with-ssl

Besides that, I have a question: is there a way to statically link
against openssl? I'd like to bundl libcurl, openssl and my own program
in a single statically linked binary.

Thanks.