Re: Multipart POSTs with large bodies

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 11:39:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Reese Grimsley wrote:

> Hopefully this helps clear up what I am trying to ask, here is an excerpt of
> the documentation I am referring to: "This event should be sent to AVS as a
> multipart message: the first part a JSON-formatted object, the second part
> binary audio captured by the microphone. We encourage streaming (chunking)
> captured audio to the Alexa Voice Service to reduce latency; the stream
> should contain 10ms of captured audio per chunk (320 bytes)".

My interpretation of this is that they suggest chunking so that you can start
sending this to them earlier. You don't have to wait until the entire
recording is done so that you know the final file size, you can start earlier.
That reduces the latency.

Besides, it is only "encouraged" which doesn't sound like it is required or
mandated.

> So if I wish to stream the audio as stated above, should I try to use
> CURLFORM_STREAM with a callback function?

If you want to provide the data from a callback rather than from a file, yes.

> If I understand it right, I would need to setup a callback function, and use
> the file to upload as the parameter for CURLFORM_STREAM and its name for
> CURLFORM_FILENAME in formadd, as well as setup the CURLOPT_READFUNCTION to
> use said callback.

Sounds about right, yes.

> Is the size of the buffer handled automatically by curl, or is there a way
> to define it?

"the buffer" as in the memory area libcurl uses when copying data into that it
then sends off to the server will use a sensible default and you don't need to
change it. In fact, even if you want to change it I'd urge you to first get it
working without changing it so that you know the basics first and *then* you
can experiment with changing the buffer size with the CURLOPT_BUFFERSIZE
option. I don't think you have a situation where adjusting the buffer size
will give you much benefits.