Re: possible patch release?

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 21:35:00 +0100

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 07:21:16PM +0100, Michael Felt wrote:
> Well, I am about to test build for AIX - but if I understand correctly -
> SSPI - is a windows only issue, i.e., not something expected on Linux or
> POSIX platforms.

One of the problems right now is that the autobuilds are currently a sea of
red. Literally 80% of the builds are red for one reason or another, including
100% of the Windows builds. I'm not surprised a problem like this cropped up.

It's great that people are running autobuilds, but it would be even greater if
they took a look at them once in a while and fixed configuration issues. A
bunch of the builds are misconfigured and will stay red until fixed, but a
bunch more are showing failures of unclear origin. Like the Schannel builds
failing with the error:

 curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed:
 SEC_E_UNTRUSTED_ROOT (0x80090325) - The certificate chain was issued by an
 authority that is not trusted.

Is this a test misconfiguration? Is this a limitation of Schannel? I have no
idea—I don't run Windows. How about test 1143 failing with "Illegal port
number" on Windows. Is this due to Windows permission issue? Is it a bug in
URL parsing on Windows? A bug in the test on Windows? Beats me (but my money
is on the test bug)!

This is a problem in a lot of Open Source projects, namely that most
development is done on Linux so other platforms don't get as much attention.
But curl has a pretty extensive test suite that runs just fine on Windows, so
if Windows users want to avoid problems like this cropping, they need to step
up to the plate and help out. Getting (and keeping) some green Windows
autobuilds would be a great start.

>>> Dan