RE: On the usefulness of --disable-verbose

From: <joris.valette_at_engie.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 10:49:31 +0000

De : curl-library <curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se> de la part de Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Envoyé : mardi 7 février 2017 22:42

> That build option is primarily there to reduce footprint, not to increase the
> experience in any other way.

> I think you should rather debate with the people who build libcurl for you and
> ask them to not use it if you want the verbose strings to be present.
>
> We have a bunch of configure options that remove various functionality. They
> all of course need to be used with some amount of care and consideration.
>
> I'm not convinced that removing these abilities is aligned with our users
> interests.

I'm still having troubles understanding how --disable-verbose could be useful,
but ok, let's assume it is. Its name seems confusing to me. Verbose generally
means "show more than usual", and is primarily used for debug purposes by
most software.
Maybe this option could have a better name?

ENGIE Mail Disclaimer: http://www.engie.com/disclaimer/disclaimer-fr.html