RE: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:18:37 -0000

Surely someone other than Kees and I actually deploy on Windows? I find it extraordinarily frustrating when Daniel or I or Kees put in a proposal and all we hear is emptiness.

I'm happy to review and test work done by anybody who wants to help, but I cannot waste my project's minimal resources. FWIW Our current build methodology involves editing the makefiles, unless we can get closure in here I'll just carry on doing that.

AFAICS Daniel, quite rightly, won't pick up a patch unless he hears assent, I'm hearing nothing.

To summarise:

The proposal is to move several internal parameterizations to do with the names and sources of various LIBS onto the command line and document them - making their use "supported" in some way. This will be backwards compatible with this particular flavour of building on windows

I might even be able to help Kees turn his patch (which current reads as a replacement) into a string of patches in a PR.

However I'm not going to spend a second further on this problem unless I get a strong feeling that anyone else cares and (more importantly) that, once I have wasted all that time, they won't start caring enough to throw up roadblocks.

Rod