broken cURL on semicolon (of Windows drive letter) in file://<path-url>

From: Kees Dekker <Kees.Dekker_at_infor.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:48:30 +0000

Hi,

I discovered that cURL 7.50.1 did accepts, but cURL 7.52.1 did not accept a colon in an URL. Example: the following URL did not work: file://c://temp/test.xml<file:///c:/temp/test.xml>.

I also discovered that back slashes are not allowed anymore (may be related to https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1007). That is also an incompatibility breach (but if standards define to do so, it is acceptable).

As there is no other method in Windows to tell an absolute path by adding a drive letter (or UNC path). So if the running process has a different working directory and calls the curl_easy_perform() function with provided URL, then the URL cannot be opened. This looks to me as a bug... If the standard does not forbid colons, cURL should also not forbid them, isn't it?

If a simple C reproduction is needed, please let me know, I will then make one.

Kees