RE: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:06:40 -0000

> This is because the name of the target depends at runtime
> whether a DLL or static curl library is built.

Can this not be hidden inside Makefile.vc?
!if "$(mode)"=="dll"
TARGET=dll_bla_bla
!else
TARGET=static_bla_bla_bla
!fining

> I don’t have time now to fix this all, but normally .......
And thereby hangs the rub for all of use trying to build on Windows.

Nonetheless "The best is the enemy of the good". We'd all like to start again from scratch and that isn't going to happen (and if I did I would spend my time making the VCXProj stuff work for me - although I'm hearing enough terrifying things about VC17 to not even entertain going there)

I'm still working through your patch and should have some comments this week. I'll try to separate the "must changes" from the "it would be great if" changes from the "well if you were starting from scratch you could do it like this. Given what I say above: so long I can bludgeon what you are proposing hard enough to build the artifacts I need with the names I need there won't be any "must changes".